Cutting Watermelon (Including a Video!) | Tuesday's Tip of the Day!
With summer in full swing, understanding how to quickly and efficiently cut a watermelon is a skill that although daunting, is quite easy and quick! And, to help streamline the entire process, I even have an awesome video on my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis that will walk you through the entire process from washing to snacking! Let’s get started…
- Wash! Before you begin slicing through your watermelon, make sure you give it a good rinse. Watermelon is handled numerous times on its journey from the field to your grocery store or farmers market. Plus, if your watermelon has been exposed to any contaminated material or matter on the field or in route to your home, it lays on the outside and you wouldn’t see it. Protect yourself and family with a quick scrub under cold water (sans soap) and you are good to go!
- Trim: Trim off the top and bottom so that the watermelon stands straight up.
- Carve: Taking a sharp chef’s knife (blade around 7 – 9 inches), start at the top and cut away the peel by carving the thick rind away. Cut just deep enough to see a bright pink flesh but not so deep where you have waste.
- Slice: Slice across the “peeled” watermelon into rounds as thick or thin as desired and cube, wedge or plank to your heart’s desire. Or, you can follow my video and follow me step by step.
- Enjoy! In half the time with limited waste and easy cleanup
For other terrific tips and hundreds of recipes, including several that feature watermelon like my watermelon feta salad, fresh watermelon salad with ginger mint simple syrup, and even a few drinks, visit my website (thetabletogether.com). While there, consider “subscribing” and I will send a new tip or blog post directly to your inbox every Tuesday and Wednesday morning!
P.S. Make sure you check out my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, for dozens of videos solely dedicated to bringing all of these fantastic tips and recipes to life!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!