Wednesday's In The Know; Setting The Table!
With the holiday season quickly approaching (9 days until Christmas!!!) and New Years just around the corner, I can think of no better time for a refresher on properly setting your dining room table. Whether setting for an intimate gathering of close friends and family or a forma affair, spending a few minutes to set the table is well worth the effort! After all, don’t think your guests won’t notice!
- Silverware: Silverware should be used from the outside in. In other words, if salad is your first course, the salad fork should be the farthest to the left.
- Forks: Left of the plate. As noted above, the salad fork should be the farthest to the left if that is the first course where a fork is needed.
- Spoons: Right of the plate. Soup spoon should be the farthest to the right if starting with soup.
- Knife: Right of the plate. The knife should be to the left of the dinner spoon and directly to the right of the dinner plate.
- Dessert Spoon and Fork: Directly at the top of the dinner plate. Dessert spoon should be above the dessert fork which is closest to the dinner plate.
- Wine, water and coffee cups: Top right corner of your dinner plate. Stager on a slant toward the soup spoon in this order from left to right: Water glass, wineglass (red) and wineglass (white). When dessert is served, place the coffee cup to the right of the white wineglass and just above and to the right of the soup spoon.
- Bread Plate: Top left corner of your dinner plate with the bread knife on top. For a fun trick and reminder, bring your thumb and pointer finger together. Which hand says “b” when you do that? The left? Then the bread plate goes on the left side of your dinner plate.
- Place Card: Right above the dessert spoon and between the bread plate and water glass.
- Salad Plate: Directly on the charger if serving in courses. If not, place next to the bread plate at the top left corner.
- Napkin: Center of the charger or to the left of your salad fork folded neatly without wrinkles.
Now that you know how to set a proper table fit for a king and queen, it’s time to get started! And with only a few days until Christmas, take the time to properly set the table bringing everything together in a beautiful manner (pun intended!).
For other great ideas on cooking at your best, stay In The Know and subscribe on my website for weekly deliveries straight to your inbox!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!