How to Select a Killer Avocado | Tuesday’s Tip of the Day!
There is nothing worse than carefully maneuvering the overflowing bin of avocados at your local market in quest of the perfect one, only to be disappointed when home! Today, we turn to our trusted friends at California Avocado’s for a complete and thorough overview of these delectable fruits.
Overview Provided by CaliforniaAvocado.com:
- When selecting an avocado, look for the Fresh California Avocado label, your assurance that the fruit was grown under the best conditions possible
- Tip: California Avocados are in season from spring through fall. If you do not see California Avocados in stores during this time frame, let your produce manager know of your preference
- The best way to tell if a California Avocado is ripe and ready for immediate use is to gently squeeze the fruit in the palm of your hand. Ripe, ready-to-eat fruit will be firm yet will yield to gentle pressure.
- Color alone may not tell the whole story. The Hass avocado will turn dark green or black as it ripens, but some other avocado varieties retain their light-green skin even when ripe.
- If you plan to serve the fruit in a few days, stock up on hard, un-ripened fruit and review our section on how to ripen avocados.
- Avoid fruit with dark blemishes on the skin or over-soft fruit.
For other terrific tips and hundreds of recipes many featuring avocados, visit my website (thetabletogether.com). While there, consider “subscribing” and I will send a new tip or blog post directly to your inbox every Tuesday and Wednesday morning!
P.S. Make sure you check out my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, for dozens of videos solely dedicated to bringing all of these fantastic tips and recipes to life!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!