Wonton Wrappers & Impromptu Weeknight Ravioli! | Tuesday’s Tip of the Day!
Today, we are stepping outside of the box and introducing a whole new concept when it comes to making ravioli. Wonton wrappers, readily available at most grocery stores, make for an easy replacement with your classic pasta sheets and yield the same texture and outcome when cooked. Heck, your guests may not even know! In fact, because they are so simple to use–and save time from rolling out fresh pasta dough by hand–wonton wrappers frequently make an appearance in my kitchen.
Before you begin:
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Make a filling for your ravioli: Open your fridge and consider the possibilities. Some of my favorite fillings are the simplest. For example, ricotta, fresh herbs, an egg, parmesan cheese, salt, and a crack of pepper is one of my favorites!
- Make a sauce, keep it hot!
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil: For faster results, salt the water after it reaches a boil.
- Lightly flour your countertop.
- Lightly flour a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Prepare the wontons:
- ightly flour a work surface with flour.
- Lay one wonton wrapper down and place a small spoonful of filling in the middle leaving a 1-inch boarder around all four sides.
- Using slightly wet finger tips, “brush” a thin layer of water around each side, as if you were “licking” an envelope.
- Place the second wonton wrapper on top, and using a fork, gently press down along the sides forming a seal.
- Transfer to the prepared flour dusted parchment paper, and repeat with the remaining wontons.
- Cook: In a large pot of salted boiling water, working in batches if needed to not overcrowd the pot, cook ravioli for 2 – 3 minutes, or until done.
- Sauce & Serve: Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked ravioli, and transfer directly to your sauce. Toss and serve while hot.
For other terrific tips and hundreds of recipes, like my walnut and kale pesto, a classic tomato Pomodoro sauce, or even my classic Bolognese, visit my website (thetabletogether.com). While there, consider “subscribing” and I will send a new tip or blog post directly to your inbox every Tuesday and Wednesday morning!
P.S. Make sure you check out my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, for dozens of videos solely dedicated to bringing all of these fantastic tips and recipes to life!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!