An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away | Tuesday's Tip of the Day!
Apples, those deliciously sweet and delectable “ornaments” hanging from apple trees whose history is nearly as aged as the city itself. With thousands – literally – of apple varieties to choose from, fall and early winter is the perfect time to visit your local farmer’s market or “you picks” in search of everything from the standard classics to unique varieties.
In September I wrote an article focusing on apples primed for baking that even your grandmother would be proud of! Today, I want to focus on other ways in which their beauty – and bounty – can extend beyond the pie dish.
- Baking: Yes, apples are excellent in baked goods from tarte tatin to cobblers, crisps, galettes and the classic apple pie.
- Snack: Apples chips anyone? Thinly slice red or green apples, lay in a single player on a parchment paper lined sheet tray and place in a preheated 225ºF oven for 2 – 2 1/2 hours flipping halfway through. P.S. I have an excellent recipe for baked apple chips on my website.
- Raw: Thinly julienne a variety of apples (think the size of matchsticks) and toss or garnish in your favorite fall-centric green salad. And, since we are on the topic of salads, why not make a quick apple vinaigrette?
- Drink: Think pressing apples for homemade apple cider!
- Sauce: From apple chutney to apple sauce, adding a sweet dose of semi-cooked apples is a delicious way to accompany any protein or simply as an excellent snack!! Consider accompanying Brown Sugar Glazed Spiral Cut Ham – yes, of course I have a recipe for that – with apple chutney and curbing your sweet-tooth or grumbling stomach with apple sauce.
Regardless of how you choose to cook, bake or sip your apples this season, know there are ample ways to make your Doctor proud on a daily basis! After all, they say “an apple a day….”
For other terrific tips and recipes for cooking and being at your best, subscribe to my blog and I will send them straight to your inbox every Tuesday morning!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!