How to Make Homemade Tortillas, Including a Step-By-Step YouTube Tutorial | Wednesday's in the Know!
Ever wonder how the make homemade corn tortillas? This week, I’ve got you covered! With a foolproof recipe and a step-by-step tutorial on my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, you’ll be whipping up fresh tortillas all summer long!
Keys to Success:
· Parchment Paper: Make sure you line the tortilla press before placing your tortilla dough inside! The dough is sticky so if you don’t line both the bottom and top of your dough ball with parchment before pressing, you may have a nice sticky mess on your hand. The video shows this is more detail!
· Just enough water, not too much, not too little! When making the dough, based on where you are, the temperature and how hot your water is, the amount of water you use may vary! It’s important to follow the recipe and only add more water if the masa crumbles as you roll the dough into a ball.
· Size of dough balls: The dough, when made and shaped into balls, should be the size of a golf ball. If they are too big, they will ooze out the side when you press them in the tortilla press. If they are too small, you won’t be able to fit anything inside. I like to use a 2-ounce cookie scoop and try one in the tortilla press to make sure they fit. And, if they crack or break, just roll back into a ball and try again!
· Cooking them: I like using a cast iron pan, but you don’t need to oil it first! Heat it on medium low, add the pressed tortillas in a single layer, as many as you can at one time, and they will release themselves from the pan when the bottom has developed a “crust”. You shouldn’t have to force them from the pan to flip as the natural cooking process will make them easy to flip. Cook both sides till you see spots of color, shouldn’t take longer than a few minutes per side.
· Flipping: Use a fish spatula, it is a real game changer.
· Have fun! You are making homemade tortillas! Stop taking yourself so seriously and have fun!
For other terrific tips and hundreds of recipes, including several tacos like my halibut tacos, visit my website (thetabletogether.com). While there, consider “subscribing” and I will send a new tip or blog post directly to your inbox every Tuesday and Wednesday morning!
P.S. Make sure you check out my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, solely dedicated to bringing all of these fantastic tips and recipes to life!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!