How to Select the Juiciest Rotisserie Chicken at your Local Grocery Outlet | Wednesday’s In the Know
If you’re like me and enjoy a store-bought whole roasted chicken from time to time, you may want to listen up! And if you don’t, well, good for you! Not all chickens are created equal, so when you see those fine birds roasted to perfection at your local market, don’t be fooled! Follow these tips and you’ll take home the finest of them all.
1. Make sure it’s hot! Cold birds often come with a shelf-life and could have been roasted yesterday. Uh, no thanks!
2. Check out the skin. The skin should look tight and crispy. It shouldn’t look “loose” or limp indicating that time has got the most of it.
3. Don’t settle for what’s in view! Chances are, your grocery story is roasting a big batch of birds and keeping the freshest in back while rotating and selling the older birds first. Don’t be afraid to ask if they have a fresh batch of birds or simply, when they were roasted. Knowledge is power, and power is a delicious moist chicken in this case.
4. A tip I picked up from Bon Appetite, the fresher bird should weight the most. If you find the birds are about the same weight on the label but one feels heavier, that’s your bird! You want the heavier bird as its moisture hasn’t evaporated yet. More moisture equals more flavor, don’t forget!
5. Lastly, those clam shells they sell your chicken in, well, they act as a hot box and continue to cook your chicken. So, the less time your chicken has been in one, the better!
6. Want to roast your own bird. Power to you folks! Here’s my favorite foolproof whole roasted chicken recipe that will result in the best whole roasted chicken around town!
For other terrific tips and hundreds of recipes, visit my website (thetabletogether.com). While there, consider “subscribing” and I will send a new tip or blog post directly to your inbox every Tuesday and Wednesday morning!
P.S. Make sure you check out my YouTube channel, The Table Together with Tiffany Lewis, solely dedicated to bringing all of these fantastic tips and recipes to life!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!