Thanksgiving Countdown & Final Checklist
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, are you ready?
By now I am hoping your turkey is primed and ready for its’ big day, sweets are made and grocery shopping is completed. Check, check check! Now it’s time to do a quick walkthrough and make sure we have all other details accounted for.
1. Counter Space: First and foremost, that turkey is going to take “real estate” both in the fridge and on the countertop. Clear as much room as you possibly can (including equipment that you won’t be using tomorrow, like your toaster, for example).
2. Spot-check your dried herbs: Are you absolutely sure you have a fresh supply of dried herbs from last year? And while on the subject, you really should replace dry herbs once a year using Thanksgiving as a friendly reminder to purchase a fresh batch.
3. Staples: Maybe you thought you had ample butter, sugar, salt and pepper but do you really? Double check!
4. Wine: Make sure whites are chilling and reds are, well, accounted for.
5. Cleaning supplies: They may have slipped your shopping list, but they are absolutely critical come cleanup and platters and dishes galore! Take inventory and make sure you have ample towels, sponges, scrubbers, dish washing soap, dishwasher soap, kitchen gloves, a container for properly disposing grease, and garbage bags.
6. Miscellaneous Items: Don’t forget a hefty supply of clean aprons, dishtowels, oven mitts, and trivets to protect your buffet and counter tops.
7. Guests: Check in with your guests to confirm timing and what they are bringing. This is also a good opportunity to ask them how much counter space they will need, ovens, burners, refrigeration, dishes for serving (hopefully their dishes will come in serving piece/s) and any other details so you can plan accordingly. If they need the oven at 375ºF, make sure it is preheated before they get there!
8. Table: Is the table set? Do you have place cards? Do you have extra votives? Fresh water for the flowers? Etc.
9. Playlist: Determine your evening’s playlist and queue the tracks accordingly!
Now that we have the nitty-gritty taken care of, walk through your recipes one last time ensuring all ingredients are accounted for and head to bed early. You have a busy day tomorrow!
For other great ideas on cooking at your best, stay In The Know and subscribe on my website for weekly deliveries straight to your inbox!
Cheers to starting a new tradition around The Table Together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!