I can hardly believe Christmas is tomorrow! Where has the time gone! When it comes to setting your table, it makes all the difference in the world to set it correctly. After all, it’s a formal affair and your guests will take notice.
Here is a quick overview for you to use as a guide when setting your own table:
- Silverware: Silverware should be placed and used from the outside in toward the dinner plate.
- Forks: Left of the plate. Salad fork should be far left with the dinner fork to the right of it.
- Spoons: Right of the plate. Soup spoon should be far right then the dinner spoon to the left of it.
- Knife: Right of the plate. The knife should be to the left of the dinner spoon and directly to the right of the dinner plate.
- Dessert Spoon and Fork: Directly to the top of the dinner plate. Dessert spoon should be above the desert fork which is closest to the dinner plate.
- Wine, water and coffee cups: Top right corner of your dinner plate. Stager on a slant toward the soup spoon in this order from left to right: Water glass, wineglass (red) and wineglass (white). When dessert is served, place the coffee cup to the right of the white wineglass and just above and to the right of the soup spoon.
- Bread Plate: Top left corner of your dinner plate with the bread knife on top.
- Place Card: Right above the dessert spoon and in between the bread plate and water glass.
- Salad Plate: Directly on the charger if serving in courses. If not, place it next to the bread plate in the top left corner.
- Napkin: Center of the charger or to the left of your salad fork folded neatly without wrinkles.
This is a formal place setting, but by all means, customize your table to the menu and serving pieces at hand. With all the time you are taking to plan and cook the perfect dinner, take this last step to bring everything together in a beautiful manner (pun intended!).
Cheers to starting a new tradition around the table together!
Founder and true believer in the power of bringing people around The Table Together!