Thyme Cornmeal Cookies
Thyme Cornmeal Cookies
Thyme cornmeal cookies are a wonderful additional to your baking repertoire! Fancy enough for entertaining and simple enough for the family, they are absolutely delicious and a true crowd pleaser!
Yield: 9 cookies (1 1/2-ounces each)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 4-ounces), room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1 large egg, lightly whisked with a fork to break yolk, room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon dry thyme – see kitchen note
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add butter and powdered sugar. On high speed, beat until soft, fluffy and pale in color, approximately 2 – 4 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and beat until just combined, approximately 5 seconds. Add egg and beat until just combined. Note: egg will not fully incorporate until the dry ingredients are added.
3. In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, thyme, and salt until evenly combined.
4. In one addition, add dry ingredients to wet and beat until just combined being careful to not over-mix, approximately 10 seconds.
5. Using a 1 1/2-ounce cookie scoop, evenly portion dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Gently press each down with the palm of your hand to flatten. Note: If making smaller or larger cookies, remember that cooking times will vary.
6. On a small plate, add sugar and pecans using a fork to evenly combine. Working with one flattened cookie at a time, lay the cookie facedown in the sugar pecan mixture and gently press down to adhere sugar mixture to the cookie. Transfer cookie to prepared parchment paper lined baking sheet sugar facing up. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
7. Put cookies in the refrigerator and allow to chill for 1 – 2 hours before baking.
8. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
9. Divide 6 cookies per parchment lined baking sheet with 1 – 2 inches between each. Place in preheated 375ºF oven and allow to bake until edges are light golden in color, approximately 8 – 10 minutes. Note: If baking cookies from the freezer, make sure you allow them to sit for 10 minutes before placing in the oven.
Kitchen Note: Cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months or the refrigerator for up to 1 day before baking or freezing. If freezing, chill cookies to harden then gently stack in freezer bags before freezing.