I am slightly obsessed with pumpkin bread and after sampling my way around Newport Beach and Seattle, I finally decided to take a stab at creating my own recipe. What I was looking for was a more “subtle” version allowing the spices to shine without being overwhelmingly pumpkin or “spicy”! This version is incredibly moist and downright amazing! Finished with pumpkin seeds and I find it hard to not eat the loaf on my own.
Yield: 4 “mini” loafs (each 5 1/2 x 3 x 2 1/4 – inches)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 – 44 minutes
1, 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, untoasted
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add pumpkin puree, oil, water, and sugar and mix on medium speed until completely incorporated. One at a time, add the eggs being careful to not over-mix. Alternatively, this can be done by hand in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
4. In one addition, add dry ingredients to wet. On low speed, mix ingredients until just combined, being careful to not over-mix.
5. Spray four, 5 1/2 x 3 x 2 1/4 – inch loaf pans with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
6. Evenly divide the pumpkin mixture among the four loaf pans. Gently tap each on the tray to release any bubbles that may have formed.
7. Evenly divide pumpkin seeds among the top of each loaf and place in the pre-heated 375ºF oven until an inserted toothpick comes back with a few crumbs and the top is golden brown, approximately 40 – 44 minutes.
Kitchen Note: If you prefer pumpkin seeds inside the bread as well as on top, simply toast 1/2 a cup of pumpkin seeds, cool and then add to the batter right before diving into the loaf pans. Finish the loaf pans with 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds and bake according to the directions above.