Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes
Green tomatoes are simply put, under ripe tomatoes. Since I grow them at home, I keep an eye on my plants and as they get bigger, yet are still green, I pick a few for fried green tomatoes! And, when you are feeling really adventurous, add a small spoonful of fresh crab or shrimp right on top and bon appetite!
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes at room temperature
Cook Time: 8 minutes
4 medium size green tomatoes, thinly sliced 1/4-inch thick – see kitchen note
kosher salt, as needed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corneal
freshly ground black pepper, as needed
olive oil, as needed
To prepare the tomatoes:
1. On a wire rack inserted in a baking sheet, add tomatoes in a single layer. Lightly sprinkle with salt and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a deep pie dish or on a rimmed baking sheet, add flour, cornmeal, pepper and salt. Using a fork or whisk, mix until evenly combined and set to the side.
3. When tomatoes are ready, use a paper towel and gently pat dry removing any excess moisture as a result of the salt.
4. In a large frying pan, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 minute. Swirl the pan to evenly coat. Meanwhile, prepare the tomatoes.
To cook the tomatoes:
5. Working in two batches, lightly dredge the tomatoes in the flour-cornmeal mixture.
6. Place in a single layer in the preheated frying pan being careful to not overlap or overcrowd the pan.
7. Allow the first side to cook until golden brown in color and a crust has formed, approximately 4 minutes. Flip, and cook the second side until also golden in color, approximately 3 – 4 additional minutes.
8. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
9. Meanwhile, add more oil to the pan, if needed, and repeat with the remaining tomatoes.
10. Serve while hot!
Kitchen Note: Green tomatoes are simply put, under ripe tomatoes. Since I grown them at home, I keep an eye on my plants and as they get bigger, and are still green, I pick a few for green fried tomatoes!