I have never quite cared for stuffing, but this version with cornbread is a different story. Simple put, I cannot get enough of it! Add sausage, and forewarning, I’m going in for seconds!
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
Oven: 425ºF and 375ºF
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
6 cups cubed premade cornbread, approximately 2 inches each (see my cornbread recipe)
2 tablespoons melted butter, to grease baking dish
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds pork sausage
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped (approximately 2 cups)
2 medium size garlic cloves, minced (approximately 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus or less if desired)
freshly cracked black pepper, as desired
1 cup low-fat or whole milk
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 large eggs, lightly whisked to break yolk
To toast the cornbread:
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add cubed cornbread. Place in preheated 425ºF oven and allow to cook until toasted and lightly golden in color, approximately 12 – 14 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
To prepare the stuffing:
4. Reduce oven temperature to 375ºF.
5. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Set to the side.
6. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 minute.
7. Add sausage and using a wooden spoon, break into small bite size pieces. Cook over medium – high heat while occasionally stirring until cooked through and golden in color, approximately 6 – 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked sausage to a separate plate while keeping the sausage drippings in the pan.
8. If additional oil is needed, add up to 1 tablespoon and allow to heat, approximately 15 – 30 seconds.
9. Add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent and slightly colored, approximately 4 – 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, approximately 30 seconds – 1 minute. Remove from heat and add thyme, rosemary and sage. Stir to combine.
10. In a large bowl, add cooked sausage and onion mixture. Lightly fold in the toasted cornbread.
11. In a separate large bowl, add milk, broth and eggs. Using a whisk, combine until just incorporated. Using a spatula, gently fold egg mixture into sausage mixture until thoroughly combined.
12. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish in an even layer. Cover with foil and place in preheated 375ºF oven. Allow to bake covered for 35 minutes before removing the foil and baking for an additional 12 – 15 minutes, or until lightly toasted and golden in color.
13. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Kitchen Note: Feel free to use any type of pork sausage, or even a lower-fat version, as desired or omit completely.