Coconut rice is a great way to “dress up” everyday white rice. The addition of coconut milk almost gives the rice a beautiful buttery and creamy consistency, which is simply put, divine! I personally like to pair coconut rice with the dark meat of chicken and with salmon, but don’t limit yourself. Give it a try and experiment; I think you will be as pleased as I am!
Yield: 2 – 3 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1 cup long grain white rice
1 cup lite coconut milk, best quality possible (like Thai Kitchen Organic)
3/4 cup water
small pinch kosher salt
1. In a medium size pot over medium heat, add oil and rotate pan until coated.
2. Add rice, coconut milk, water and a small of pinch salt. Gently stir until it begins to simmer.
3. Once at a simmer, give the rice one last stir, reduce heat to low, cover and allow to cook undisturbed and without lifting the lid for 15 minutes, or until small holes form on top of the rice and rice is cooked.
4. Once cooked, remove pan from heat and with the lid on, allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
5. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and serve.
Kitchen Note: I like to use Thai Kitchen organic lite coconut milk but keep in mind, the better quality of coconut milk the better the outcome. Consider adding a few tablespoons of toasted coconut to the rice at the beginning of cooking for a little variation. Alternatively, serving cooked rice with toasted coconut on top as a garnish makes for a great finishing touch and presentation.