Finishing salts take an ordinary dish to extraordinary levels with a simple pinch of infused salt at the last minute. By making your own, which is quite frankly easier than the drive to the grocery store, your imagination is your only limitation when it comes to all the possibilities. From lime, lemon and grapefruit to herbs and spices, like cumin and paprika, your options are limitless. Take into consideration what you are making and give it a nice “kick” with a light dusting of homemade infused salt to finish.
Yield: 1/2 cup finishing salt
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1/2 cup flaky salt, like Maldon
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 275ºF.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl, combine salt with zest ensuring there are no large lumps.
4. Spread salt in a thin layer and place in preheated 275ºF oven until zest has dried and crumbles when touched with your fingers, approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature. If a finer consistency is desired, pulse salt in a spice grinder until desired consistency is reached.
6. Once at room temperature, store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Kitchen Note: General rule of thumb when making citrus infused salt is 1/2 tablespoon of citrus zest to 1/2 cup of flaky salt. This ratio is completely based on personal preference so play around with it until the right combination is reached.