Coconut milk and lemongrass may possibly be one of my favorite flavor combinations. This recipe is bursting in flavor and offers an extremely healthy and flavorsome vegetarian dish that will be loved by all. If you want to add protein, by all means add chicken or shrimp, but quite frankly it’s delicious as is!
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, roughly chopped (approximately 2 cups)
1 lemongrass, roughly chopped (approximately 1/3 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced (approximately 2 teaspoons)
8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1, 13.66-fluid ounce can low-fat coconut milk, like Thai Kitchen
2 teaspoons soy sauce – see kitchen note
8-ounces rice noodles, lightly broken into noodles the length of spaghetti
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, juice from approximately 1 lime
kosher salt, as desired
1. In a dutch oven or large pot over medium – high heat, add vegetable oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 – 2 minutes.
2. Add onions and allow to cook while occasionally stirring until translucent and light in color, approximately 3 – 4 minutes.
3. Add lemongrass and allow to cook until softened and fragrant, approximately 2 minutes.
4. Add garlic and allow to cook until just fragrant, approximately 20 seconds.
5. Add vegetable stock, coconut milk and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then add noodles and allow to simmer uncovered until noodles are al dente, approximately 4 – 6 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and finish with lime juice. Divide among 4 bowls and serve while hot. See kitchen note.
Kitchen Note: Consider garnishing with fresh cilantro right before serving. For a non-vegetarian version, add chicken or shrimp and replace soy sauce with fish sauce.