Sweet Corn Soup
Sweet Corn Soup
Sweet corn soup is a great treat during the hot summer months when corn is at its prime! Whether you use white or yellow corn, you won’t be disappointed with this delicious (and dairy free if you choose) soup!
Yield: 4 – 6 (4 cups)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups corn kernels, from approximately 4 cobbs – see kitchen note
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup low-fat milk or cream, optional – see kitchen note
kosher salt, as desired
freshly ground black pepper, as desired
1/4 cup micro greens, optional garnish – see kitchen note
1. In a Dutch oven or medium size saucepan over medium – high heat, add olive oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 minute.
2. Add shallots and allow to cook while occasionally stirring until translucent and soft, approximately 2 minutes.
3. Add corn kernels and cook until heated through, approximately 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Add stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and using a ladle, carefully transfer to a heatproof blender, like Vitamix. Blend on high until silky smooth.
5. If using, add milk or cream and blend again until incorporated. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Divide among 4 serving bowls and top with a small pinch of micro greens, if using, right before serving.
Kitchen Note: To remove the kernels from the cobb, place cobb standing upright on a damp kitchen towel over a baking sheet. Standing the corn upright, use a serrated knife to trim off the kernels from the cobb allowing the baking sheet to catch the kernels.
For a dairy-free option, omit the dairy.
Micro greens can be found at most major grocery stores or even at the farmers market! If you cannot find micro greens, using freshly chopped chives or cilantro would work just as well.