Allowing carrots natural sweetness to shine without the added cream is my favorite combination when making carrot soup. This recipe is absolutely delicious and low in fat without the added cream that you typically find in soup. By adding orange juice at the end, you add a nice level of brightness taking ordinary to extraordinary levels.
Yield: 8 cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 pounds (approximately 12) carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch thick half moons
1/2 teaspoon cumin
8 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice - See kitchen note
kosher salt, as desired
1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepan over medium – high heat, add olive oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 minute.
2. Add onions and allow to cook until soft and lightly colored, approximately 4 – 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots and cumin stirring until incorporated.
4. Add stock, reduce temperature to low, cover and allow to cook until carrots are fork tender.
5. Add orange juice and using an immersion blender or blender, like Vitamix, blend on high until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and serve while hot.
Kitchen Note: Blood orange, cara cara, naval orange juice or a combination of each can be used.