If you are looking for a delicious and healthy dip, baba ghanoush is an excellent choice providing a wonderful Mediterranean twist.
Yield: approximately 2 cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 large or 2 small eggplants, cut in half lengthwise, stem ends trimmed
1 head garlic, top half removed exposing the garlic cloves below
extra-virgin olive oil, enough to coat eggplants and garlic
1/4 cup tahini
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons lemon, juice from approximately 1 – 2 lemons
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. On a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper, add eggplant and garlic cut side facing up. Generously coat each with olive oil.
3. Place in preheated 400ºF oven and roast until golden brown in color and soft, approximately 45 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature until cool enough to handle.
5. In a large food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add eggplant and garlic cloves (cloves only – see kitchen note), tahini, olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Process until smooth and adjust seasoning to taste with additional salt, pepper or lemon juice as desired.
6. Serve with pita or crusty bread.
Kitchen Note: To remove roasted garlic cloves, gently squeeze the bottom and allow each to pop out. Make sure the garlic has cooled before handling.