Sunday supper calls for delicious, family-style meals that are easy on workload, including cleanup! With everything cooking in one skillet, this super easy and yes, delicious, chicken parmesan – using chicken cutlets mind you – is not only healthy, but both kiddo and adult approved! Winning combination in my opinion!
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
3 eggs, lightly whisked with a fork to just break yolks
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more to garnish
1 cup all-purpose flour
kosher salt, as desired (approximately 1/2 teaspoon)
freshly ground black pepper, as desired (approximately 1/4 teaspoon)
8 boneless skinless chicken cutlets (or 4 chicken breasts, each cut in half horizontally) – see kitchen note
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more if needed
1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2, 28-ounce cans crushed San Marzano tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less depending on desired “heat”
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
kosher salt, as desired
1 1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. In a shallow baking dish, add eggs and Parmesan cheese, lightly whisking until just combined. In a separate baking dish, add flour, salt and pepper whisking until evenly combined.
3. Dredge each chicken cutlet in flour, ensuring all sides are evenly covered. Then dredge each cutlet in the egg mixture, ensuring all sides are evenly coated. Set to the side.
4. In a large nonstick skillet over medium – high heat, add olive oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 – 2 minutes. Working in batches as to not overcrowd the pan, add chicken and cook until a golden brown crust appears, approximately 3 – 5 minutes. Flip and cook the second side until also golden brown in color but cooked all the way through, approximately 2 – 3 additional minutes and an inserted meat thermometer registers 165ºF. Note: If the chicken cutlets are thick and develop too much color before being cooked through to 165ºF, transfer to a wire rack inserted in a baking sheet and allow to cook in the preheated 425ºF oven until fully cooked (165º internal temperature).
5. Once chicken is cooked, remove from skillet and transfer to a clean plate covering with foil to rest. Repeat with the remaining chicken and set to the side tightly covered with foil to rest.
6. In the same skillet over medium – high heat, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and onions. Cook onions until translucent and soft, approximately 2 – 3 minutes. Add garlic, and allow to cook until just fragrant, approximately 20 seconds.
7. Reduce temperature to medium, add tomatoes, red pepper flakes (if using), Italian seasoning and sugar. While occasionally stirring, allow to simmer until flavors have developed and consistency has slightly thickened, approximately 5 – 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
8. In a 9x13-inch baking dish, add cooked chicken cutlets and cover with tomato sauce. Generously top with fresh mozzarella to cover and place in preheated 425ºF oven. Allow to cook uncovered until cheese has melted, approximately 2 – 4 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and serve while hot with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired, to finish.
Kitchen Note: Most grocery stores carry chicken cutlets but if not, slice a chicken breast in half horizontally resulting in two chicken cutlets. Working with one cutlet at a time, cover with plastic wrap and using a heavy kitchen mallet, pound until 1/4-inch thick.