Cajun Shrimp Tacos
Cajun Shrimp Tacos
I absolutely love tacos with Cajun shrimp tacos being my favorite. Simple to make but bursting with flavor, these tacos are a huge winner at any gathering! And if you have leftover sour cream mixture, save it for a quick and easy dip or even salad dressing! Delish!
Yield: 4 servings (8 tacos)
Preparation time: 15 minutes + 10 minute refrigeration
Cook Time: 5 minutes
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound medium size shrimp, de-veined, peeled and tails removed
8, 6-inch corn tortillas
2 ripe avocados, pit removed, mashed with a fork
To prepare the sour cream mixture:
1. In a small bowl, add sour cream, cayenne pepper and lime juice. Whisk to combine and smooth. Cover and allow to sit in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
To prepare the shrimp:
2. In a medium size bowl, add 1 tablespoon oil, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic, and shrimp. Evenly coat the shrimp and allow to marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
3. In a medium size sauté pan over medium – high heat, add remaining vegetable oil and allow to heat, approximately 1 minute. Add shrimp in a single layer and allow to cook without touching until opaque in the center, approximately 2 minutes. Flip and allow to finish cooking an additional 1 – 2 minutes, or until tails are curled and fully cooked. Set to the side.
To prepare the corn tortillas:
4. Using metal tipped tongs over a gas stovetop flame, or alternatively in a dry sauté pan over high heat, add tortillas and allow to toast until lightly charred.
5. Cover with towels to keep warm.
6. Enjoy family style offering freshly mashed avocado and sour cream to finish.
Kitchen Note: For a little more heat, add freshly minced jalapenos to the shrimp marinade. Tomatoes, lettuce and green onions also make for great finishing touches.