Take a spin on the classic lemonade by adding fresh peaches! Simply adding them to the simple syrup and pureeing with fresh lemon juice keeps the tartness from the lemon juice but offers a wonderful color profile as well as sweetness. And, for an adult version, add a splash of fruit flavored rum for a little kick!
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
3 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cup peaches, unpeeled, pitted, cut into 1-inch cubes, approximately 3 peaches
3/4 cup lemon juice, juice from approximately 5 – 6 lemons
ice, to serve
1 freshly sliced peach, optional garnish
1. In a medium size saucepan over medium – high heat, add water and sugar and cook while occasionally whisking until sugar dissolves, approximately 2 minutes.
2. Add peaches, bring to a boil, and allow to cook while occasionally stirring until peaches soften, approximately 3 – 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool 20 minutes.
4. Transfer to a heatproof blender, like Vitamix, and remove the small venting capsule within the lid which allows steam to release. Cover with a kitchen towel and blend on high until smooth.
5. Add lemon juice, blend again until just combined, approximately 5 seconds. Transfer to a heatproof container and allow to cool at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to fully chill – see kitchen note.
6. When ready to serve, fill glasses with ice and top with chilled peach lemonade. Garnish with freshly sliced peaches, if desired.
Kitchen Note: In order to keep your refrigerator and all of its contents at a safe temperature, make sure you cool the lemonade at room temperature before placing in the fridge to fully chill. If time is of the essence, place the tempered container in a plugged sink filled with ice water creating an ice bath. Occassionally stir until contents are cool to the touch.