I have a true fondness with granola; the sweet, salty and nutty flavors that bring such comfort and satisfaction. Throughout my travels, I started buying granola from mom and pop cafes and enjoying them on the road. Whether I adorned them with almond milk, raw and straight from the bag, or with freshly made jam and Greek yogurt, I couldn’t get enough of it. My recipe below is a healthier and “purer” variation that doesn’t use added oil, sugar, salt, or butter which so many recipes call for. Even though I have reduced the guilt, you will still find all the satisfaction. Now, let’s raise our spoons to less guilt and more granola!
Yield: 3 cups
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
1/2 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup (or honey)
2 cups rolled oats, not quick cooking
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup whole almonds
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup dried raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium size bowl, add Lyle’s Golden Syrup, rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, almonds, blueberries, cherries, and raisins.
3. Stir until evenly combined.
4. On a baking tray sprayed with cooking oil, add the granola mixture and spread into a flat and even layer.
5. Place in the oven and cook stirring every 6 minutes until golden brown, approximately 16 – 18 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool until room temperature.
7. Using a metal spatula or your fingers, break the granola into small pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
8. Best served with yogurt or milk and a dollop of fresh homemade jam, like my peach jam recipe!
Kitchen Note: Swapping your favorite nuts and dried fruit is a great way to customize the granola to fit the needs and likes of your family. Ground flax seeds and any nut butter also make great additions. Don’t limit yourself to all the wonderful possibilities that present themselves down the bulk-aisle.